Sunday, May 3, 2009

playing with new friends


How many of us remember meeting someone new and joining in on their fun in progress? For me it was nearly impossible and made me a loner. I am no different today. But we all have to grow and change, even at 45...YIKES did I say that?

I have joined in with some ladies in a free-piecing challenge, no rulers, measuring, templates or special cuts. Just a pair of scissors and whack and stitch. The project is the sounds of Halloween, my sound "rattle". Here's the finished block, ready for the lead person to form into a quilt...ho-pefully, not sure if it's good enough. Remember there was no measuring, no applique, just guess and go.

10 comments:

  1. Laura this is FABULOUS. These are your first letters? You did such a great job. and look at your bone! you have a real talent for this and I'm so thrilled that you jumped on in to play with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonya sent me and I'm glad she did. Love the rattle and bones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I've been toying with joining this Halloween free pieced letters thing, but I haven't had the nerve yet. I completely understand what you mean about the challenges of joining! I think your recent foray into free piecing is a great way to train yourself to "loosen up." I say this only because I'm thinking that I need to do the same, especially if my results are anywhere near as fabulous as your letters and houses. Keep quilting - and blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and come on, what quilter with a cat can't appreciate a verification word like "bedfurr"?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job on the letters! What fun! great houses to by the way. lovely quilting

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great first free-pieced word! Love the bone, too ... it's gonna look great in the finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very fun! (Love the bone too.) Banish that inner critic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're a natural!! The lettering looks great and the bone is ingenious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. terrific letters- you did fabulous-always great to be able to just jump in and play

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wowwy, wow, wow! I absolutely LOVE your letters! What a stroke of genius adding the bone! I so LOVE it! I'm still working on my 'Howl'
    Cheers,
    Dionne
    PS - I'm glad your playing too!

    ReplyDelete